Thursday, March 25, 2010

Six Weeks


It seems I'm a bit over six weeks along in the journey and I am feeling fine! The neurologist thought the baby would make my migraines "worse or better" (my brother pointed out how ridiculous it is that we pay people big bucks to tell us such simple things). I think my headaches are gone. I have so much energy and have enjoyed (almost) daily hikes along the North Shore trail. Six weeks means the nose, mouth, and ears are starting to form. The tiny heart is beating away and he/she is the size of a lentil, which is soooooo much cooler than the poppy seed she was last week. The rest of her brains, bones, and muscles are forming and the very thought of that makes me cry. My books and website report that I may be feeling a sort of "split personality" or "ricocheting emotions" due to the fluctuating hormones. I deny that this is true...unless of course you count the fact that I went from singing in the shower to hiking for three hours alone and in tears over whether Black Beards blend coffee has 200 or 400 mg of caffeine in 8 oz and whether or not I would be a selfless enough parent because after all I am struggling to give up coffee. Detox is killer. Thank God for my husband.

We got our first baby package from Diane, Todd's Mom who will be "Gramma Diane" some day! The package was so thoughtful: chocolate, girl scout cookies, organic 'Mama candy' to ward off nausea, material for our never ending creative projects, and baby onesies! First time holding baby clothes and coming close to imagining that it will be my baby wearing them. Crazy! Todd and I sat there in shock for full minutes just staring at these cute little things before we broke out into giggles. Gpa Lloyd has been tie dying things back home and Diane tells me he'll soon be tie dying baby clothes! Thank God we have been given 8 + months for this to all sink in. Thank you, Diane, for such a thoughtful package. Last week my Mom sent a card with a beautiful picture of her 7 months pregnant with me. Hard to believe she was pregnant with her 5th baby at the age that we're just starting our family. Speaking of nice things people have given/sent to us upon hearing the news. My sister n' law, Kelli, made the most spectacular card, which I will post as soon as I can figure out how. Those of you who know her are aware that one of her love languages is in card making. My sister, Sarah, sent an informative calendar with facts about each stage of the pregnancy, which you can organize according to your due date. Also, our neighbor friends brought us baby/parenting magazines from Missoula along with Cardamom (my absolute favorite) and Mexican Chocolate ice cream all the way from the Big Dipper ice cream shop in Missoula. "The ice cream is for the baby! Not you two!" Mo, a nurse from work, brought a bunch of cupcakes to Todd's school to congratulate us. We are overwhelmed by all the gifts, the blessings, and the kind words/advice people have shared. Thanks, all, we are so grateful! Made it half way through the baby name book and realized that of the 23 girl names on our list only 2 end in something other than the letter a. Weird. I wonder what this says about us. I am eager to know the name of this person I'm sacrificing coffee for, but realize this could take many months. We happen to love the naming of things, animals...and now a person. It's all so exciting!

4 comments:

  1. I commend you if you do give up caffeine, but just so you know, I didn't. I just limited it to no more than 100-150 mg a day, and most days didn't go over about 75 mg (a tall late or chai).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress and the shirt you are wearing!!! So many fabulous memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing about the coffee. At some point on the drive home from Oregon it just started sounding really gross. Still does. I haven't had coffee since April 1st. I have an occasional cup of tea and that's all. I'm grateful because I was having a hard time (as usual) with moderation, and now even the smell is too much. I usually find some excuse to wander out of the apartment when Todd is making his. Strange. (p.s. this is Heather and Todd says I'm supposed to write in blue since we share this blog and color code, but I can't figure out how...so brown it is)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cristi! So funny that you remember that old dress. I never get rid of anything, do I? Is that from high school? I think yes. I think you got me the shirt. I've mended it 3 times. Not kidding.

    ReplyDelete